Re: Announcing xorriso-0.1.6

--- Em seg, 19/5/08, Thomas Schmitt <scdbackup@gmx.net> escreveu:

> I don't know whether a bootable appendable media stays
> bootable with
>   -dev /dev/cdrom
> rather than -indev ...  -outdev ... .
> This would add a session to the media. The session
> would hold a new directory tree, a new boot sector
> and the data blocks of the new or overwritten files.

An image that remains bootable with -indev -outdev should remain bootable with -dev too (Note we only deal with el-torito images). El-Torito has specific support for multisession images, it tries to locate a valid boot sector in the last session. On emulated multisession (such as DVD+RW) the new boot sector is placed propertly at the begining of the image, so it works too.

As far as I know, to keep the image bootable:

- We have to figure out the size of the boot image (this means, it must appear in the ISO-9660 directory tree),
- The boot image should work with the newly generated directory tree. This is the hard point. A boot image is arbitrary executable code that gets loaded into RAM at boot time and then executed. If that code assumes some disc directory structure, it won't work, unless we were clever enought to modify the code propertly. At this time, libisofs is only able to modify isolinux code, but it cannot detect a boot image is isolinux, so you need to tell it about that, with isolinux and patch options.

Cheers,
Vreixo

http://br.mail.yahoo.com/