Re: More Dual-Layer burning oddities

Joerg Schilling wrote:
CJ Kucera <pez@apocalyptech.com> wrote:

Please explain your problem!
Cdrecord does the right thing with DVD+R without the need for a manual
layer break. A manual layer break is only needed for DVD-Video.

I thought that I had.  DVD+R/DL discs burned without "layerbreak=value"
on my box result in discs which are unreadable past the layer break (at
least, I assume that's where it fails, since it's at just about half the
size of the disc).  Once I threw in a manual layerbreak, the discs that
I burnt worked properly.  I didn't mention this in the original email,
but I haven't yet run any tests on a different batch of discs, to see if
it was just the media requiring that flag for me.

So you either have a problem with the medium or with the drives firmware.
Cdrecord computes and uses the right value automatically.

What value do you use for the layerbreak?

It is a well known problem that some media is unreadable on the second
layer.....

Since a manual layerbreak works, that seems unlikely. If certain media don't work in a burner, I'm never sure which should be called a media or firmware error, If a firmware change the problem, the media vendor will say it's a firmware fix, and the burner vendor will call it a work-around for media problems.

In either case I'd try different media just for the data point, if another major brand fails, I'd blame the burner.
--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still