Re: Mkisofs - seek error on old image

Hi,

>  Looking at your man page,

Its man page shall be better than the one of
growisofs, its DVD code better than the one of
cdrecord and its multi-session capabilities
better than mkisofs.

Its circumventing of a bug in some block device
drivers is a lucky consequence of its more
reasonable i/o architecture, compared with
the classic team of block device, mkisofs
and a generic SCSI writer program.

>  I would mount the drive, even after
> using a -commit switch and it still wouldn't work
> I'm not sure if I really need the -commit
> since I'm only using one drive.

-commit is simply a trigger to do the write
to media.

It is intended for the -dialog mode to allow
to go on with the program run after writing a
session.
If there are image changes pending at the end
of the program then they get committed automatically
... unless you use -rollback or -rollback_end to
throw away the uncommitted changes.

-commit to readable "drives" causes a reload of the
image data after writing is done. This lasts some seconds
but on the other hand it can be appeasing to the user
to see that the data amount on media did grow.

There are non-readable "drives", like stdout, where
the reload will rather confuse the user by stating
that the drive is "blank". (It is not a lie, though)

> I'm assuming an -eject would fix my "readablity" problem,

Not much hope for that.

The only wonder that xorriso can work in your
situation is to circumvent the bug when reading the
directory tree of the existing ISO image. One can see
this as combining the methods of readcd and mkisofs.

Your block device driver problem seems to be not
very old. I find traces in the source of growisofs
that _my_ block device driver problem is old:
I.e. without eject i see the new data but truncated
to the old media size.
But with eject-reload mine works reliably. Yours not.

So the problems with mkisofs and - more severe -
with mount are indeed problems of your operating
system.
If you want to approach the system developers, i
could give you some assistence as technical expert.
But all in all CD/DVD burning has not much standing
in Linux. So my hope in this aspect is limited.

I will rather strive for a -restore command in
xorriso in order to offer an alternative to
mount(8).

Until then you will have to make sure that you can
get your data back from the media somehow.
In worst case you have to use xorriso to consolidate
the sessions on a new media. DVD+RW is quite easy
to understand for any reading software :))