Re: refresh options and the best GUI

Hi,

> Do not be quiet when people try to act against OSS.

To act against OSS is not a crime
and Debian is not the enemy of OSS.
Your quarrel with them belongs to the
category of Intersecterian Feud.

It does not serve your reputation.

> 2)      By writing a library, it ignores usual privilige rules
>        and thus makes portability impossible.

I assume that you refer to dynamic linking
and eventual security restrictions.
Well, not on Linux and not on FreeBSD.
But i will not outrule the possibility.

On source code level the library architecture
means that there is a neat API between application
programs and burning of optical media.

The way of linking is at the discretion of the
GPL application programmer.
I prefer to bundle all sources which are needed
for xorriso and to have not even static libraries
involved. Just .o files.
Linux packagers on the other hand prefer to have
three .so libraries and a dynamically linked xorriso
binary.

So the xorriso tarball is standalone whereas the
library tarballs bring their reference apps as
dynamic cripples.
As part of libisoburn there is: xorriso.

People can pick what they want.

> 1)      It is not portable - cdrtools work anywhere.
> Collaboration is much more productive.

As proposed earlier: how about you help with
a Solaris port of libburn ?
The interface between libburn and operating system
dependent code is clearly defined.

Another proposal is to make your peace with Linux
and to re-unite with cdrkit. That would mean, of
course, that you have to leap over your shadow:
Pure GPL and/or LGPL, the promise to do as the
Linuxers do when being in Linuxtown, maintaining
a civilized communications interface with Linux
eminences ... toats to swallow.

The toats are the consequence of the position in
which you allowed yourself to get. You have the
choice to see your work spoiled in the Linux world,
or to paddle back and to suffer personal pain for the
sake of getting cdrkit out of the Linux distros.

You won't win this by fighting.

Zorry everybody for the german metaphors.
At least you got no german poetry from me.