Re: refresh options and the best GUI

"Thomas Schmitt" <scdbackup@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Do not be quiet when people try to act against OSS.
>
> To act against OSS is not a crime
> and Debian is not the enemy of OSS.
> Your quarrel with them belongs to the
> category of Intersecterian Feud.

Debian started this fight and they are still acting against OSS.

> It does not serve your reputation.
>

> > 2)      By writing a library, it ignores usual privilige rules
> >        and thus makes portability impossible.
>
> I assume that you refer to dynamic linking
> and eventual security restrictions.
> Well, not on Linux and not on FreeBSD.
> But i will not outrule the possibility.

Unless FreeBSD introduced the same security problems as Linux,
you still need root privileges on Linux in order to send SCSI commands
from user level programs.

> On source code level the library architecture
> means that there is a neat API between application
> programs and burning of optical media.

You cannot have an API that is based on non existent privileges.
If there is a library, people believe that you may call the lib
from a GUI, but then you would need to run the GUI suid root.
This is something that is not allowed if you care about security.

> People can pick what they want.
>

> > 1)      It is not portable - cdrtools work anywhere.
> > Collaboration is much more productive.
>
> As proposed earlier: how about you help with
> a Solaris port of libburn ?
> The interface between libburn and operating system
> dependent code is clearly defined.

As I mentioned above and many times before: you need privileges
you do not have inside a GUI, so you cannot use a burning library.
What is the reson for you for not trying to help cdrtools?

> Another proposal is to make your peace with Linux
> and to re-unite with cdrkit. That would mean, of

I cannot let people win who violate the GPL and the Copyright on
my software.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)