Re: BD-R formatting help

Hi,

> That particular error message was being printed by a very pared down 2.4.32

That should be young enough to run the drive
anyway. But my 2.4 kernels never reported
errors directly to the user space terminal.

The errors reported are probably due to the
uninitialized status of the BD-R.

> Nov 21 16:22:29 ubuntu kernel: [27434.649982] hdc: media error (bad sector):
> error=0x30 { LastFailedSense=0x03 }

It would be nice if it would tell which sector
and what ASC and ASCQ numbers came with sense 0x03.

> [27887.746641] hdc: error code: 0x70  sense_key: 0x03  asc: 0x57  ascq: 0x00

That's a bit more informative:
3 57 00 UNABLE TO RECOVER TABLE-OF-CONTENTS

Question to myself, MMC specs and all others:
Shoult it have a TOC at that time ?

> [27887.744680] ide: failed opcode was: unknown

Grmpf. Why does it know the error and not the
command which caused it ? (This question goes
towards heaven.)

> The terminal screen begins scrolling this text until I CTL-C:
>  hdc: error code: 0x70 sense_key: 0x03 asc: 0x57 ascq:0x00

This mass output does not look like typical
dvd+rw-tools behavior.

I assume you have disabled all automounters and
similar programs which could access the drive.
So this could come from the device driver trying
to learn about the present media.

Does this kernel log protesting start as soon
as you insert the media into the drive or does
it start only when you run dvd+rw-format ?