Re: Why are my DVD+R DL only readable by root ?

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 01:45:24PM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:

> Your subject is misleading, or at least confusing... It implies that after
> burn only root can read DL. If that's the case it's a new bug, and I have
> no idea at all why, since I don't see it.

Yes that's what I mean.
Non DL discs are perfectly readable by other users...

> If you mean you must be root to use cdrecord (not woe-dumb), then yes, it
> is a sad fact of life. The solution is to build a recent cdrtools from
> source, then install setuid root, or to change your script to use
> growisofs. The advantage of growisofs is no need to be root, the advantage
> of cdrtools is use of vendor commands which make some burners work better.
>
> Install comment: I put everything setuid (or group, root or other user) in
> /usr/local/bin. In the case of cdrecord I also renamed it "CDrecord" so
> that I would be sure I was not getting some other program calling itself
> cdrecord.

I am well aware of that, and I don't consider it to be a problem at all.
--
Grégoire FAVRE  http://gregoire.favre.googlepages.com  http://www.gnupg.org
               http://picasaweb.google.com/Gregoire.Favre