More Dual-Layer burning oddities

Hello list - back in January I wrote in about some issues I was having
with dual-layer DVD burning, which ended up being solved by a firmware
update on my burner.  [1]

Just recently, I started having issues again, where the burning process
(both with growisofs and cdrecord) would *seem* to burn fine, but
there'd be an error during the layer flip which caused the disc to be
unreadable at that point (ie: halfway through the disc).

After a whole lot of investigation and coasters, I found out that I
could make use of cdrecord's 'layerbreak' driveropt to result in a disc
that was actually readable.  I've got two questions about this:

1) The cdrecord manpage mentions that using 'layerbreak' will cause the
drive to burn using the 'layer jump' method, as opposed to 'sequential
recording.'  Is there a way to tell growisofs to do the same thing?  I'd
rather use growisofs, simply because it avoids the need to create a .iso
first, though of course if that's impossible then I'll just use
cdrecord.

2) I originally tried using 'layerbreak' without specifying the actual
break point, which just resulted in the message "cdrecord: Bad layer
break value ''" - I had to manually supply the break point, at which
time it burnt properly.  The manpage only mentions DVD-R/DL in the
section that deals with 'layerbreak' without a specified breakpoint.
Does that mean that DVD+R/DL just doesn't support having the breakpoint
automatically detected?

Thanks!

-CJ

[1] http://lists.debian.org/cdwrite/2008/01/msg00095.html

--
WOW: Flemmy            |   "Happiness isn't good enough for me!  I
pez@apocalyptech.com   |              demand euphoria!"