Re: [dvd+rw-tools] problem erasing DVD+RW

Hi,

> * formatting .:-[ FORMAT UNIT failed with SK=5h/ASC=22h/ACQ=00h]:
> Input/output error

Quite a strange error
 5 22 00 ILLEGAL FUNCTION

> What can I do to erase and reuse these DVD+RW?

Those individual media might be dead now.
Try them according to the following advise.

You do not have to format DVD+RW before re-use.
They are overwriteable once they are formatted.
With a modern Linux you can use them like a tape
or a memory stick.

So this might be the most erasing thing to do:
  dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdc bs=2048 count=2295104
This will write 4.7e9 0-bytes to the media
and thus overwrite the old content.

Note that this is peculiar to formatted media:
DVD-RAM, DVD+RW, formatted DVD-RW.
Unformatted DVD-RW indeed have to be blanked before
re-use:
  dvd+rw-format -blank=full /dev/hdc
and you need a burn program like growisofs to write
to them (as with DVD-R or DVD+R).

With growisofs and DVD+RW it is only about option
-Z or -M which decide whether you write a new
filesystem from scratch or whether you append some
files to the eventually existing filesystem.