Re: VCD

Joerg Schilling wrote:
"Thomas Schmitt" <scdbackup@gmx.net> wrote:

Hi,

How about if I just try a burn with raw96r and see if that works?
Worth a try. But man cdrecord says:
" -raw   Set RAW writing mode.  Using this  option  defaults
         to  -raw96r"
So probably you cannot expect better results than with
cdrecord -raw.

During my adventures in google i found this
  http://www.os2world.com/cdwriting/vcdtools/readme.htm
  http://packages.debian.org/stable/otherosfs/vcdtools
It uses cdrdao for the job of burning. Looks like the author already went through the adventures
which libburn would have to pass in order to get VCD ready.

You need the right kind of data for a vcd.

The data from vcd formatters usually contains preformatted sectors and a cue sheet file.

Writing a vcd should be possible with cdrdao (using SAO mode).
Writing a svcd unly works with cdrdao if you can write it in SAO mode
and if your writer supports to write complex data in SAO mode.

If you need to write a svcd in RAW mode (e.g. because you use a Pioneer drive)
you are lost with cdrdao and need to use cdrecord. Cdrdao does not handle
cue sheet file based writing in RAW mode correctly.

One of the options is to create an image with 2336 (mode2) sector layout. Unfortunately I can't find information on what size it uses by default. Bah!

--
E. Robert Bogusta
 It seemed like a good idea at the time