Re: cdrecord problems

Hi,

Chris Ahlstrom:
>  But are there any other CD/DVD writing engines out their?

Yes. libburn supports CD and single layer DVD with
capabilities according to MMC-5. (That is about what
growisofs can do - minus the capability to fabricate
ISO-9660 multi-session on random access media which got
no sessions.)
CD capabilities stem from earlier developers of libburn
and from my own studies of MMC-1 to MMC-3. I am very
sure that there was no substantial flow of information
from cdrecord into libburn.

For libburn, see:
  http://libburnia.pykix.org/

cdrskin is the cdrecord compatibility application of
libburn
  http://scdbackup.sourceforge.net/cdrskin_eng.html

I'm the developer of cdrskin and also the currently
active developer within libburn.

> What about dvdrtools and dvd+rw-tools?

dvd+rw-tools is the package around growisofs.
It includes dvd+rw-format, dvd+rw-mediainfo, ...

wodim got DVD capabilities from one of the cdrecord
DVD patches. I believe to remember it was dvdrtools.

When i implemented DVD support in libburn, it was
clear to me that only growisofs can set the technical
benchmark. I learned from it what was necessary to
understand the DVD specs in MMC-5.

> I also wonder where to find some advice about burning dual-layer DVDs.
> I couldn't do it before.  Might have been my old Liteon drive, which
> later stopped working completely.

growisofs claims to be able, cdrecord claims to be able.

libburn has experimental code ready but i am waiting for
somebody who is willing to risk a few DL media. They seem
to be not very popular (understandable given the prices
i see here).

I would be interested in supporting experiments with
DVD-R DL or DVD+R DL.
First you should verify the DL capabilities of growisofs
with and without option
  -use-the-force-luke=break:...

Depending on the outcome i would try to talk you into
running a test with cdrskin.
If you plan to make tests with growisofs, give me a note.
I will then re-read grwoisofs.c for more experiment ideas.