Re: Re: growisofs WRITE@LBA=230540h error blanking DVD+RW media

Thomas:

Thank you again for your excellent reply.

1. I was posting to the email list at
http://www.mail-archive.com/cdwrite@other.debian.org/info.html.  I thought
that was the gateway to cdwrite messages.  It substitutes the
WRITE@LBA=230540h portion of the subject and message with EMAIL PROTECTED].
This isn't so bad when the sender (me in this case) wants to protect his
email address from spam harvesters, but it does make it difficult to get the
details of the reported message.  Your suggested email list address
http://lists.debian.org/cdwrite/2007/07/threads.html is what I'm using now,
and I can see all the text, including my return email address.  Oh, well.

2. I came to growisofs because it was suggested to me that this would be
able to restore the DVD+RW media to its virgin state.  Evidently that is not
possible, which seems very strange to me at the least. You can do it with
DVD-RW and virtually every other recordable media I am aware of.

3. The reason I want to do it is because I've been having problems with the
"erased" media format that leaves a Session 1 - track 01 structure on the
disc, length 4.7 sales GB, closed, but with  nulls in all the track sectors.
Some software (e.g. Plextools) gets very confused by this situation, and
becomes virtually useless unless it has something to work on.  So in cases
like this you always want to be able to return to a known good state -- in
this case, blank media.  Everything understands that.

4.  You mention some reformatting with DVD-RW (not DVD+RW).  I got a -RW
disc here, and was able with simple erase to recover what Isobuster and
others recognize as a simple Blank DVD-RW.  So for my purposed the
intermediate operations you suggest are not necessary in the instant case,
though might be in some other context.

5. I sent an email to Andy Polyakov, asking him where to report this bug.  I
didn't realize he was the author of growisofs.  Maybe he'll look into doing
a true blanking of the media.  I mean, how hard can it be to simply zap the
specific sectors that hold this bogus session - track 01 structure?

Thanks for your help -- greatly appreciated.

-- Roy Zider

2.