Re: problems writing a large file to DVD+R Double Layer disk

Joerg Schilling wrote:
Kish Shen <kish.shen@crosscoreop.com> wrote:

What is a .ts file?
Why do you need it?
This is a file I downloaded, and I think .ts is some sort of container format for video (mplayer
is able to play it direct).

I am trying to archive it so I can remove it from my HD -- I don't really have enough room to
keep it around my HD

There is a standard that says that no single video file may be > (1 GB - 2k).
I assume you mean a standard DVD format disk. By use of growisofs I have to think he wants to write to a disk in ISO format using mkisofs, just to preserve the data.

I'm posting a suggestion on that issue in a separate message.
In about 2 months, there will be a new version that supports files up to 8 TB.
If you use Linux, you then will need to check whether the Linux kernel correctly
supports multi-extent files. I will add the needed multi-extent file support to
OpenSolaris at the same time....

That would be great! Would I be able to append to the +R double layer disk that I have written to with a previous version of growisofs?

I cannot speak for growisofs.
I thought you did see an error message from growisofs. Once cdrecord will support multi-border for DVD+R, it will be done in the official way, it depends on whether growisofs does the same.

If you have problems with double layer disks, better use the cdrecord that
comes with cdrtools-2.01.01a24. Note that you need to call cdrecord as root
or install it suid root.

I will take a look at this. I assume I will need to use a new disk to do this, and cannot append
the file to the double layer disk I have already partially written to using growisofs.

With the current features of cdrecord, you will need a new empty DVD+R/DL.
--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>