Re: problems writing a large file to DVD+R Double Layer disk

Kish Shen <kish.shen@crosscoreop.com> wrote:

> > What is a .ts file?
> > Why do you need it?
>
> This is a file I downloaded, and I think .ts is some sort of container format for video (mplayer
> is able to play it direct).
>
> I am trying to archive it so I can remove it from my HD -- I don't really have enough room to
> keep it around my HD

There is a standard that says that no single video file may be > (1 GB - 2k).

> > In about 2 months, there will be a new version that supports files up to 8 TB.
> > If you use Linux, you then will need to check whether the Linux kernel correctly
> > supports multi-extent files. I will add the needed multi-extent file support to
> > OpenSolaris at the same time....
> >
> That would be great! Would I be able to append to the +R double layer disk that I have
> written to with a previous version of growisofs?

I cannot speak for growisofs.
I thought you did see an error message from growisofs.
Once cdrecord will support multi-border for DVD+R, it will be done in the
official way, it depends on whether growisofs does the same.

> > If you have problems with double layer disks, better use the cdrecord that
> > comes with cdrtools-2.01.01a24. Note that you need to call cdrecord as root
> > or install it suid root.
> >

> I will take a look at this. I assume I will need to use a new disk to do this, and cannot append
> the file to the double layer disk I have already partially written to using growisofs.

With the current features of cdrecord, you will need a new empty DVD+R/DL.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)