Re: Writing Dual Layer DVD-RW using Linux

varenorn <varenorn@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I use a 10GB HP Colorado tape drive to backup my personal Linux PC
> every week/month.  I backup to the tape using GNU tar in compress mode,
> thereby allowing me to back up to approximately 20GB of files.
>
> However, it is not in a good state at the moment.  So I am considering
> using DVD instead.
>
> The closest alternative to the 10GB tape is the 8.5GB DVD-RW DL (i.e.
> dual layer).  The capacity should be good enough for my needs.
>
> I can't write to a file on hard disk and afterwards burn the DVD as I
> do not have enough disk space.  So, I am thinking of using the kernel's
> packet writing abilities to do my backups.
>
> What I envisage happening is something like the following.
>
> Firstly, I need to set up the packet writing:
>
> $ mkdir /dev/pktcdvd
> $ mkdir -p /mnt/pktcdvd/0
> $ mount /dev/pktcdvd/0 /mnt/pktcdvd/0 -t udf -o
> noauto,noatime,rw,users,sync,dirsync # (See kernel Bug 5893 for
> sync,dirsync parameters)
>
> When I get a freshly bought DVD-RW DL, I need to put a UDF file system
> on it and then format it:

While DVD-RW/DL have been in the labs for a while, I have been told that
they will not been sold because all current DVD drives cannot read them.

Where did you get DVD-RW/DL media from and what drive do you have?

What do you see with cdrecord -v -checkdrive

The output should like like:

cdrecord dev=4,0,0 -checkdrive -v
Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 2.01.01a35 (i386-pc-solaris2.11) Copyright (C) 1995-2007 Jörg Schilling
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
scsidev: '4,0,0'
scsibus: 4 target: 0 lun: 0
Warning: Using USCSI interface.
Using libscg version 'schily-0.9'.
SCSI buffer size: 64512
atapi: 0
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'MATSHITA'
Identifikation : 'BD-MLT SW-5582  '
Revision       : 'BDB2'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM.
Current: BD-RE
Profile: BD-R sequential recording
Profile: BD-R random recording
Profile: BD-RE (current)
Profile: BD-ROM
Profile: DVD-RAM
Profile: DVD+R/DL
Profile: DVD+R
Profile: DVD+RW
Profile: DVD-RW restricted overwrite
Profile: DVD-RW sequential recording
Profile: DVD-R/DL layer jump recording
Profile: DVD-R/DL sequential recording
Profile: DVD-R sequential recording
Profile: DVD-ROM
Profile: CD-RW
Profile: CD-R
Profile: CD-ROM
Profile: Removable Disk (current)
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc-3 BD-RE driver (mmc_bdre).
Driver flags   : NO-CD BD MMC-3 BURNFREE
Supported modes: PACKET SAO LAYER_JUMP
Drive buf size : 6881280 = 6720 KB

and DVD-RW/DL should be in the list of profiles.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)