Re: No supported write modes with LG GSA-H62N SATA DVD+RW

"Thomas Schmitt" <scdbackup@gmx.net> wrote:

> Joe MacDonald:
> > So I'm guessing this is an indication of a problem
> > in the Linux device driver, maybe at the SATA level,
> > maybe in SG?
>
> I would assume that SG is not to blame but rather
> the SATA specific code. Possibly even specific to
> the VIA VT6240 SATA controller.

There is no known problem with drives on a classical SCSI transport.
This makes a SG problem less probable but not impossible.

> Non-technical hint:
> It will be psycho-dynamically helpful if you
> can point to growisofs or cdrskin as failing
> programs too.
> If the developers blame the problem on cdrecord
> alone, then this should help to bring the discussion
> back to a technical level.

If the Linux developers would take similar problems more seriously,
they could have been fixed long ago. If other programs do not fail,
this does not verify a problem in cdrecord. We have the case that
cdrdao is able to blank media on some platforms while cdrecord fails
with "illegal field in CDB" by sending exactly the same SCSI command.
The fact that the Linux hackers claim that this is a cdrecord bug, just
disqualifies their skills.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)