Re: Problem with Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-308B

On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 06:21:06PM +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> wrote:
> >
> > This is a valid point, and very frustrating -- especially when the stable
> > versions also seem to expire after a couple years.  (But in his defense,
> > after this happened, I was able to build a cdrecord alpha on my HP-UX 10.20
> > box and replace the now-defunct "stable" one.  It works.  Until this one
> > expires, anyway.)
>
> If you were able to read sources, you would know that your claims from above
> are lies......

Does this sentence mean, "You should have dug through the source code,
found the place where it expires, and changed it yourself."?

I could probably do that, but it was easier to download an alpha source
tarball instead.  Maybe that's your intention: to convince people to
upgrade to newer versions.  If so, fine, but I do wish the error messages
were clearer.

Also, the expired stable releases to which I refered in the first sentence
were NOT accompanied by source code.  They were your pre-compiled
binary-only cdrecord-ProDVD releases for the HP-UX 10.20 platform,
before you freed the source for the ProDVD part.  So, modifying the
source code actually wouldn't have been an option for me with those.

I certainly don't intend to spread any lies here.  If I've misunderstood
something (such as the cryptic "Alarm call" error message that I get),
then I may be guilty of unintentionally spreading misinformation, but
that's a bit different from outright lying.