Re: Problem with Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-308B

On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 08:43:49PM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Joerg Schilling wrote:
> >Note that the Linux kernel folks do not like that these sources are used
> >and claim that they are not useful for running a stable system. They
> >rather point
> >you to a distribution......

> I am very surprised to hear this from you! You have complained many time
> over the years that people were finding problems in modified versions of
> cdrecord and blaming errors on your source. [...]

Joerg is correct here.

http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/3513

     "Andrew's vision, as expressed at the summit, is that the mainline
     kernel will be the fastest and most feature-rich kernel around, but
     not, necessarily, the most stable. Final stabilization is to be
     done by distributors (as happens now, really), but the distributors
     are expected to merge their patches quickly."

This quote basically applies to all 2.6.* kernels.  I stopped building
my own Linux kernels from source a couple years ago.  It's just not
worth the pain.