CD/DVD reliablity [was Re: Verifying backup CD/DVD results]

On 26 Dec, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> I found this link: http://swaj.net/unix/cdck/cdck-0.6.0.tar.gz which is
> a program to read a CD or DVD and report on the goodness of the burn, in
> terms of current and potential errors. I can't swear that the results
> are accurate in terms of predicting future failures, but they are
> consistent, in that a DVD identified as marginal, good, or excellent on
> one machine will have the same rating on at least two other machines
> using other brands of DVD reader hardware.
>
> I have been checking my critical backups and reburning any rated less
> than good. Only rarely do I see the excellent rating, which may reflect
> my use of good but not premium media.

The more general question is

Are CD / DVD media suitable for backup, at all?

On German TV there has been a warning recently that a CD (DVD) might get
unrecoverable errors even with one year.
Are there any brands which gives waranties and how much are they worth?

What have you heard / experienced ?

Many thanks for your input,

Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik