Verifying backup CD/DVD results

I found this link: http://swaj.net/unix/cdck/cdck-0.6.0.tar.gz which is a program to read a CD or DVD and report on the goodness of the burn, in terms of current and potential errors. I can't swear that the results are accurate in terms of predicting future failures, but they are consistent, in that a DVD identified as marginal, good, or excellent on one machine will have the same rating on at least two other machines using other brands of DVD reader hardware.

I have been checking my critical backups and reburning any rated less than good. Only rarely do I see the excellent rating, which may reflect my use of good but not premium media.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc