Oddness piping mkisofs into recent cdrecord versions

I have a system with a Pioneer DVR-104 drive, revision 1.40 firmware. When I try to pipe an ISO into the cdrecord program, it complains that it needs tsize= option to do the burn. Piping the same data stream into growisofs works fine on the same hardware and O/S, but requires that I use a DVD, when a CD would be adequate at times.

I've tried several brands of CD, that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Obviously I can get around it, but if there's a trick to get it to work I'd like to understand it.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc