Re: [Cdrecord-developers] Re: [Cdrecord-video] Re: cdrtools-2.01.01a09 released

On 5/30/06, Joerg Schilling <schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:

> I wouldn't live in the past if you would get the hint that SCSI is dead
> for probably 98% of your users, and trying to use connections which
> depent on the fantasy that the devices are scsi is a source of endless
> grief. Only the commands are (sort of) scsi, the transport is almost
> entirely gone for CD/DVD.

Each time you repeat this nonsense, I foster the impression that you are
not only living in the past but that you are also uneducatable :-(

Bill, Although I have issues with the way how Joerg comes over (it
might be a cultural
thing from a person that's typing in a non-mother tongue), I have to
start to agree with
Joerg on this one.

Would you please be so kind to inform yourself and discover that the SCSI
protocol is one of the most sucessfull protocols and that more and more devices
depend on the SCSI protocol?

Not only this Bill, but that the CD writers still use a SCSI based
protocol (and they
came out initially in SCSI before IDE could handle the *sustained* throughput).
Even worst is that in certain situations I've found that a CD/DVD
writer don't wnat *any*thing
else on the same IDE cable that's trying to talk when that CD/DVD
writer is writing.

If you did, you woul know that ATA is one of many SCSI tranports (like USB
or 1394 are SCSI transports).

To get back to Linux, the SATA stuff is lately done using the SCSI
transpport layers
with libata inside the SCSI subsytem of Linux :)=)

The fact that Linux does not create an universal umbrella for SCSI transports
is a hint that the Linux kernel developers are also living in the past.
Note that all modern OS did this already many years ago.

They are getting there, but need a few decent developers that will focus on
fixing the past legacy of hd<a-z>, not to mention the others, and to fix the
short comings in the current SCSI subsystem.

No Bill, before I continue to boost Joerg's ego in this regard, please check in
with the Linux kernel source code, ask Joerg for some guidelines^H^H^H^H^H^H^H
Rather checkout joerg's webpages in this regard first and then only
ask questions
once you need some clear clarity after other sites confused you, and help to
fix the Linux subsystems rather than to complain to Joerg.

Now if just OpenSolaris had a decent nVidia *and* ATi drivers... but
that's a complaint for
a different forum :(

--
Groete in Jesus Christus, ons enigste Verlosser en Saligmaker
Greetings in Jesus Christ, our only Saviour and Salvation.