Re: growisofs +R Double Layer -dvd-compat burning problem

~$ growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=happily.iso
Executing 'builtin_dd if=happily.iso of=/dev/dvd obs=32k seek=0'
/dev/dvd: splitting layers at 1860864 blocks
:-[ SEND DVD+R DOUBLE LAYER RECORDING INFORMATION failed with
SK=5h/ASC=26h/ACQ=00h]: Input/output error

~$ dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/dvd
INQUIRY:                [HL-DT-ST][DVDRAM GSA-4167B][DL12]
DVD+R DOUBLE LAYER BOUNDARY INFORMATION:
 L0 Data Zone Capacity: 1860864*2KB, can still be set

Note that growisofs attempts to split at default layer boundary. Meaning that the image is exactly as large as full media capacity, right? Can you try smaller image so that growisofs would try split at lower value? If it works, then it's just specific firmware glitch [which can be worked around in next version].

As I stated above, if I don't use the -dvd-compat option, the dvd burns
without any errors and will play on my Shinco dvd player but not my Yamaha
dvd player.

It should be noted that if image is exactly as large as media capacity, then the recording performed without -dvd-compat is identical to one performed with [at least according to specification]. Varying results are more likely to be caused by limited capability of second player to play DVD+R DL in general, rather than how this particular recording was performed. A.

 Note that I have no problems using the -dvd-compat option with
4.7GB dvds. Any help would be greatly appreciated.