Re: dvd+rw-tools update [6.0, DVD-R DL]

Joerg Schilling wrote:

Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:

I did try it recently with creating a SchilliX ISO image (~ 20000 files
700 MB) and it did not help.

Did you do the test on a machine with limited memory? I may have asked this before, but I don't see a reply, sorry if this is a repeated question. I find the great benefit when memory for buffers is limited.

I don't know what you call "limited memory".

I used a Dual Opteron with 1 GB of RAM so this may be called a machine with
limited memory.

I test applications on a Celeron with 256MB to be sure they will run on modest user machines. While CPU is not an issue, I would expect that 1GB is enough to provide all the buffer space the application can use. I never see buffer effects on my production machines, when an entire CD will fit in memory there's not much buffer bontention. A 3GB DVD image on 256MB shows good benefit from writing with O_DIRECT.

Thanks for testing.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc