Re: dvd+rw-tools update [6.0, DVD-R DL]

Matthias Andree wrote:

Joerg Schilling <schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de> writes:

Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:

This sounds a bit confused. Are you able to describe your concern?

You said star doesn't run as fast on Linux as Solaris, you can probably fix that problem by using O_DIRECT, so the writes and reads don't compete for the same buffer memory.
And I already mentioned that it is higly improbable that O_DIRECT will
speed up on Linux. A better buffer cache (this means improving Linux) helps much more than avoiding it.

How would a buffer cache improve the situation for star? I may have
missed the beginning of the discussion, but caching
write-once-then-forget data seems pointless.

I think he means one which didn't do that useless caching, although most improvements also bite in some cases. I had a patch in which assumed that if a program wrote more than N bytes without a read or seek that the data should be sent to the drive NOW. Eliminated writing a full CD to buffer, with data from cache, then closing the file and having the drive go dead busy for a minute.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc