Re: dvd+rw-tools update [6.0, DVD-R DL]

Patrick Ohly wrote:

On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 20:09 +0100, scdbackup@gmx.net wrote:
as you still have to pull a lot of data from disk, you still put quite a pressure on VM subsystem, so direct I/O can still help,
But how to talk afio, star or mkisofs into that ?

I was thinking that a simple wrapper to open() which adds
O_DIRECT might be sufficient, but it turned out that this
alone is not sufficient: the buffers used by the programs
must have a certain alignment. This is not guaranteed
without modifying the way how those programs allocate
memory.

I played with this a bit, if you are using higher level calls you can replace fopen() with an open() using O_DIRECT, an fdopen() after that, and a setbuffer() to get a big alligned buffer in place. I did that just to see if I could get a gain without doing a bunch of code which might be non-portable in practice. The main benefit was to have less impact on the rest of the system, the i/o in the program didn't run that much faster.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc