Re: Liteon 1693S stopped working with growisofs after upgrading firmware

Unless you fear that the firmware would render the drive incapable of reflashing back to the vendor firmware I wouldn't worry overly about that. I agree you don't want to ignore the issue, but vendors expect you to reflash, so in itself that wouldn't void the waranty.

No thanks. What if I flash to a modified version of KS0A, and need to go back to vanilla KS0A? What if I need to send the drive back under the warranty due to a mechanical flaw? I'm not about to screw around with firmware upgrades if I can get around it. By get around it, I mean burn on Windows.

That was what I meant, you clearly expect the modified version to somehow prevent you from going back and reflashing some earlier vendor version.

The Liteon firmware update program CLEARLY states that it is not possible to go back to a previous version of the firmware. They state it as a matter of fact. I'm sure there are ways around this limitation that is probably imposed by the Liteon flashing software itself.

> Given the total lack of reports of this problem, I think you're
very close to the line between caution and paranoia.

No comment.

You run an opensource app, using open source drivers, in an open source O/S, and you worry about non-commercial firmware messing up your drive to the point that you can't reflash back.

The nVidia drivers I use are not open-source.

Enjoy Windows.

I already enjoy Windows - that's where I play all my games.

None-the-less, I am seriously thinking of mess around with figuring out the sequence of commands Nero sends to the burner unit compared to growisofs. This problem has given me one of those hacker itches.