Re: cdrecord-2.01.01a21 refuses work on Linux 2.4 if non-ide-scsi DVD-ROM is present

Hi,

update and probably final report about the setuid problem on
SuSE 9.3 :

Joerg was right: with setuid bit the program is not
running as "root" but geteuid() returns the UID of
the previous owner of the file "thomas".

The problem seems bound to a single ext3 partition and
even there it is not easy to reproduce.
Any of the following actions make it vanish:
- copy binary to different partition and execute there.
- copy binary to different partition, copy back
  and execute at its old storage location.
- apply  chown root  once again after chmod u+s
  (older chown implementations cleared setuid
   bit and thus i first chown and then chmod).

My findings give enough room for explanations why we
never heard of such problems when SuSE 9.3 was freshly
introduced.

Unclear remains why the system's "cdrecord" binary
joined the club of refuseniks. I changed its name
and i applied chmod u+s, but it was never owned by
user "thomas". (Pity i cannot make it tell its
geteuid()).

State on my kernel 2.4 (SuSE 9.0) system:
  cdrecord-2.01.01a21  works with the patch about
  LINUX_VERSION_CODE <= 0x020600

State on my kernel 2.6 (SuSE 9.3) system:
  cdrecord-2.01.01a21  works unpatched

Sorry again for the confusion about SuSE 9.3.
It had nothing to do with cdrecord itself.