Re: a question on pipes and growisofs

Pablo Rodríguez wrote:

Hi there,

I'm trying to save a whole partition (about 2.5GB) on a brand new
computer, booting a live CD Linux system (that is copied to RAM and
ejected). All hard disk partitions are mounted as read-only.

So, I want to be able to "tar -cf file.tar /mnt/sda4" and "growisofs -Z
/dev/dvd/ -udf file.tar". I guess that to be able to do it, I should use
a pipe, but I don't know how to do it.

I use UDF as disc format since the resulting file is bigger than 2GB
(and it seems that the Linux implementation of ISO 9660 limits the file
size in 2GB). I would like to be able to mount the disc and find one
.tar file.

Is there any way to do this? (Sorry, but I don't have any idea on how to
use pipes.)

Let me beat Joerg to it, you want to look at star...

That said, what you did needs some other place to put the tar file, and you said you mount all f/s read only,so use of pipes is desirable. I *think* you can just write the partition as a file on an ISO filesystem, no pipe needed:
 growisofs -Z /dev/dvd -graft-points /dev/sda4=my.raw.partition

Note that I am suggesting a way to do what you want, without endorsement of the method. Should work fine, did a similar thing to backup the master drive for systems being replicated. Backup of the contents is more flexible, so mounting the partition and backing up to ISO, perhaps using the -RU options to handle almost all filesystems, might be more useful.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc