a question on pipes and growisofs

Hi there,

I'm trying to save a whole partition (about 2.5GB) on a brand new
computer, booting a live CD Linux system (that is copied to RAM and
ejected). All hard disk partitions are mounted as read-only.

So, I want to be able to "tar -cf file.tar /mnt/sda4" and "growisofs -Z
/dev/dvd/ -udf file.tar". I guess that to be able to do it, I should use
a pipe, but I don't know how to do it.

I use UDF as disc format since the resulting file is bigger than 2GB
(and it seems that the Linux implementation of ISO 9660 limits the file
size in 2GB). I would like to be able to mount the disc and find one
.tar file.

Is there any way to do this? (Sorry, but I don't have any idea on how to
use pipes.)

Thanks for your help,

Pablo