Re: Some intermediate thanks to Joerg Schilling

scdbackup@gmx.net wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > > Well, compiling cdrecord on SuSE 9.0 is a bit cumbersome ...
> >
> > What kind of problems do you have?
>
> I remember an undefined HZ caused by having a semi-100
> and semi-1000 Hz kernel. I dimly remember that i had
> another issue (which will bite me again and remind me)
> when i compiled your first source release of DVD support
> a few months ago.
> (scdbackup's default for DVD is growisofs but cdrecord
> can be used too. I tested that - when i was not yet so
> completely overwhelmed by my newer roles.)

Mmm, strange. cdrtools did just compile wihout any warning
on Suse 10.0

> Oops. I did not want to instigate hardware efforts.
> I always was able to compile cdrecord, somehow. But my users
> are a bit less skilled with reading protest messages of gcc.
> For them cdrecord-ProDVD was a viable alternative to
> compiling.

I did just compile smake-1.2a38 and then used it to compile
cdrtools. This was very easy as usual.

> With planning a backup on CD, my scdbackup encounters a
> file of 1 GB size. It won't fit. scdbackup needs a to do
> a workaround. So the user will get a chopped file. Better
> than nothing. Easy to restore. cat is my friend.
>
> Currently scdbackup copies the first 640 MB out of that file
> into a new file in a disk buffer directory. Then this disk
> file is given to mkisofs.
> -graft-points allows me to put it back into its appropriate
> directory in the ISO image. A name suffix tells the chunk number
> and the total number of chunks.

OK; but I believe that this is something that needs to be handled
outside of mkisofs.

> > There is a non-standard (Linux only) RR extension in mkisofs for
> > compression and it my be that we will support this in future on Solaris.
>
> Interesting. What's the option name ? ... -z ?
> Ahum ... hey, that's something for my own todo ...
> ... mkzftree ... ahum ... again a reason to have
> disk buffer ? Will i never get rid of that ? :))
>
> A usage example would help with the -z paragraph in
> man mkisofs (as of cdrtools-2.01.01a09).

I did never test it as Solaris cannot moun/read it. I did
just inclue a patch from Peter Anvin.

> Whatever. You got your own priorities. For scdbackup
> it is most important that the old features are kept alive.
> For that i will test soon.

The highes priority currently is to implement what's really missig

Correct hard links for RR and files > 4 GB

> I would deem >4GB files in mkisofs very valuable. But i could
> hardly dare to use that feature as default for quite a while.
> There is lots of ISO reader software out there which does not
> even cope with >=2 GB.

Well, the problem may be to use the DVDs.

I will add support to Solaris at the same time but I still get
reports from Linux uers that cannot even use files > 2.5 GB.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)