Re: Some intermediate thanks to Joerg Schilling

scdbackup@gmx.net wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > It seems that I have been cicked out from this list by Debian.
>
> Indeed ?!
> That would be a very unwise and critic-worthy move.

I did re-subscribe about an hour ago.

> To the public:
>
> I am Joerg Schilling's user, i am his imitator, i am his competitor.
> And look: here are two CD-germans who can still talk politely to
> each other. It is not impossible.
>
> Currently i want to believe in some accidental misunderstanding.
> (Nevertheless this letter goes as copy to Joerg directly.)
>

> > If you like to help me testing, please check the latest
> > cdrtools-2.01.01a13
> > ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/cdrtools-2.01.01a13.tar.bz2
>
> Well, compiling cdrecord on SuSE 9.0 is a bit cumbersome ...

What kind of problems do you have?

I did just learn that there are some problems compiling star on
Linux because Linux seem to miss important include files that are needed
for basic features like ACLs & file flags.

> > completely reritten command line parsing and with the new find(1) features.
>
> ... but that should indeed be tested.
>
> You could help me with that - and help my users -
> by providing a Linux binary as portable as cdrecord-ProDVD
> was. (How do you make that thing run on SuSE 9.0 and
> on SuSE 7.2 ? I need to compile static to achieve this.
> libc problems.)

I would need to look for my Suse-9.x HDD again....

> I would have wishes towards mkisofs, but they are a bit exotic.
>
> Number 1:
> A pathspec which allows to graft in the output of a
> program run. Defining target name in ISO image, maximum size,
> even RockRidge attributes, and the program command line.
> The size of output should be padded or truncated by mkisofs
> to fit the announced size.

Except for the size, a lot of this is possible with mkisofs -find

> This i would use to chop oversized files (>650 MB, >=2 GB)
> without the need for buffering the parts on disk.
> (I will be able to tell exact sizes in advance.)

I don't understand.

> This feature would also allow very interesting stunts like
> file-by-file compression and/or encryption in a plain
> ISO tree.

There is a non-standard (Linux only) RR extension in mkisofs for
compression and it my be that we will support this in future on Solaris.
However, correct hard link handling and File size > 4 GB would be more
important.

> Number 2:
> Copy the attributes of implicitely given directories into
> the RockRidge extensions (and/or Joliet). My problem is with
> a pathspec like this one (option -R is set):
>   /pics/animals=/home/user/pics/animals
>
> I get exactly copied the rwx-permissions of "animals".
> But its boss directory "pics" in the ISO image gets default
> permissions.

Please check the recent mkisofs first....

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)