Re: can't read DVD+RW in Sony DW-G120A immediately after growisofs

I'm now quite confused.  I'm attempting to use a Sony DW-G120A DVD+-RW
which I have mounted in an external USB chassis.  I have successfully
burned CD-RWs with cdrecord, but am having no luck burning a DVD+RW.  I
have formatted two different DVD+RW blank and tried to record with what
appears to be no success.

I can not read the recorded DVD+RWs in a DVD-ROM drive in my laptop.

This with laptop DVD-ROM can be just infamous incompatibility problem. Earlier very few, really very few laptop units could read DVD+RW.

I can burn a DVD-R in the Sony, I can read that DVD-R in both the Sony
and in my laptop DVD-ROM (and play it with ogle).

I am not experienced enough to figure out what is going wrong with the
DVD+RW.

dvd+rw-tools-5.21.4.10.8

alexandria 2.6.12-gentoo-r10 # growisofs -speed 8 -Z /dev/scd0=/home/thoth/music.iso Executing 'builtin_dd if=/home/thoth/music.iso of=/dev/scd0 obs=32k seek=0'
/dev/scd0: "Current Write Speed" is 2.5x1385KBps.
   2392064/628006912 ( 0.4%) @0.3x, remaining 26:09
   5111808/628006912 ( 0.8%) @0.6x, remaining 20:18
 623280128/628006912 (99.2%) @0.6x, remaining 0:06
 625868800/628006912 (99.7%) @0.5x, remaining 0:02
builtin_dd: 306656*2KB out @ average 0.5x1385KBps
/dev/scd0: flushing cache
/dev/scd0: stopping de-icing
/dev/scd0: writing lead-out
/dev/scd0: reloading tray

alexandria 2.6.12-gentoo-r10 # cat /dev/scd0 | file -
cat: /dev/scd0: Input/output error
/dev/stdin: empty

The unit can be broken or simply doesn't like the particular media brand. Poor media support manifests itself in rather bizarre way. If quality brand media, such as Verbatim, doesn't work talk to your retailer and try to exchange unit. A.