Re: growisofs +R Double Layer -dvd-compat burning problem

~$ growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=happily.iso
Executing 'builtin_dd if=happily.iso of=/dev/dvd obs=32k seek=0'
/dev/dvd: splitting layers at 1860864 blocks
:-[ SEND DVD+R DOUBLE LAYER RECORDING INFORMATION failed with
SK=5h/ASC=26h/ACQ=00h]: Input/output error

~$ dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/dvd
INQUIRY:                [HL-DT-ST][DVDRAM GSA-4167B][DL12]
DVD+R DOUBLE LAYER BOUNDARY INFORMATION:
 L0 Data Zone Capacity: 1860864*2KB, can still be set

... But then above would mean that *despite* the fact that unit terminated "SEND DVD+R DOUBLE LAYER" command with given error code, the layer break position *was* in fact set anyway. To double-check could you locate plus_r_dl_split function in growisofs_mmc.cpp and modify the end of this function as following:

    if ((err=cmd.transport(WRITE,dvd_20,sizeof(dvd_20))) && err!=0x52600)
        sperror ("SEND DVD+R DOUBLE LAYER RECORDING INFORMATION",err),
        exit (FATAL_START(errno));

Recompile and try to burn. Don't forget to provide dvd+rw-mediainfo for resulting recording.

Now, everything works until the end and then I get

5900369920/5900828672 (100.0%) @1.5x, remaining 0:00 RBU 1.4%
builtin_dd: 2881264*2KB out @ average 1.5x1385KBps
/dev/dvd: flushing cache
:-[ SYNCHRONOUS FLUSH CACHE failed with SK=3h/ASC=A0h/ACQ=80h]: Input/output error

This is vendor-specific code and only LG knows what does it mean. Double-check their site for firmware updates for your unit.

~$ dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/dvd
INQUIRY:                [HL-DT-ST][DVDRAM GSA-4167B][DL12]
DVD+R DOUBLE LAYER BOUNDARY INFORMATION:
L0 Data Zone Capacity: 1440640*2KB, can no longer be set
Disc status:           appendable
READ TRACK INFORMATION[#1]:
Track State:           invisible
Next Writable Address: 2881264*2KB
READ CAPACITY:          0*2048=0

I can mount the disk but my DVD players won't read it.

The disk is simply open it's not mystery that player won't read it. Try http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/close.cpp to close the media. But I'd recommend to try to exchange the unit, as it's really abnormal behavior. Talk to your retailer. For reference, close.cpp was written for users who suffered from bug in 5.19, which was leaving media open.

Given that I misinterpreted the original query, there is a way to improve playability of media in question by running 'growisofs -M /dev/cdrom=/dev/zero' to close the disc. It doesn't guarantees playability in the above mentioned affected player though, as it still may have problems to play DVD+R DL media in general. A.

I tried it with the original 6.1 growisofs and the modified one on above disk and got the following:

~$ growisofs -M /dev/dvd=/dev/zero
:-( unable to pread64(2) primary volume descriptor: Input/output error
   you most likely want to use -Z option.

growisofs -M /dev/dvd=/dev/zero pads multi-session media with *closed* tracks till full capacity. In other words I was referring to the media you've recorded without -dvd-compat. Point is that DL media recorded without -dvd-compat can have unrecorded area in second layer, which might confuse player calibrating system and limit playability in legacy units. A.