Re: growisofs and PX-716: impossible changing burning speed after the first burn.

I'm running Linux and using a Plextor PX-716A burner with dvd+rw-tools 6.1. When I burn a DVD at a speed lower than its max default rated speed, as seen in dvd+rw-mediainfo output, then at the next burn the current burning speed is fixed to the previous value, so I can't set a highter burning speed. I.e. if I burn a capable 16x DVD at 8x in the first burn, in the second burn I can choose 8x or a lower value but NOT 16x.
To reset the drive I have to reboot the system.

Could you do following:

- reboot the system;
- put 16x media in unit and collect 'dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/cdrom verbose' output;
- perform 8x recording;
- put another 16x media in unit and collect another 'dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/cdrom verbose' output;

Send both to me.

Anyone has experienced the same?

I for one wouldn't know because of lack of personal hands-on experience with PX-716, but there was report which might be similar to your problem, look for "Plextor PX716A speed problem : probably a Powerec issue." There was no resolution though... It should be noted that I attempt to maintain growisofs as least common denominator for all units. Meaning that if solution would require using of vendor-specific commands [Plextor in this case], then I'd rather not to add it to growisofs, but advice to use QpxTools [or in worst case consider writing small command-line snippet, which would make it possible to work around the problem, as soon as it's understood]. A.