Re: cdrtools cdrecord/cdrecord.c

Geoffrey <esoteric@3times25.net> wrote:

> > I am not against Linux, however I don't like the way the Linux kernel developers
> > personally attack people who tell them where they make mistakes.
> >
> > Let me make an example: if you take Linus Torvalds statements on Linux kernel
> > include files for serious, then it is _forbidden_ to test kernel interfaces.
>
> Can you provide a link to this statement?

Sorry no, you may find it on LKML archives.

Linus states that under no circumstances, user space programs are allowed to
include include files from /usr/src/linux. They should use the Fixed files that
come with glibc.

Well, first note that glibc does not even know about most kernel interfaces,
the include files that come with glibc are much older than the linux kernel.
If I add a new interface to the linux kernel today or if I enhance an old one,
I cannot test it in case I am only allowed to use the include files from glibc.

> > Also it is a matter of facts that the Linux kernel people constantly insert new
> > snares against CD/DVD recording.
>
> Again, I would appreciate some specific examples.  I would take it upon
> myself to inquire as to why such a thing is done.

Just check the useless incompatibilities that are a result from introducing
the SCSI command filter. The problem that it claims to fix is not fixed.

The problem was that some novice programmers did modify Linux not require a R/W
fd for the SCSI ioctls. The clean way would be to just to modify the kernel
to require to open the driver r/w. As this is done by cdrecord (libscg) only
broken programs would stop working.

> >>Not at all, I have taken a look at Open Solaris, it apparently is not
> >>Solaris.  Linux works mighty fine for me, thus I can't justify the cost
> >>for a real copy of Solaris or the required hardware.
> >

> > This looks uninformed and I am not sure whether I should belive that you know
> > what OpenSolaris is.
>
> Now see that's the kind of statement someone might take wrong.  It
> appears that you might be calling me a lier.  I said that I had
> attempted to install it.  I may not have called it the correct name as
> it appears that it is now referred to as simply Solaris.  I did think
> that at one time it was called OpenSolaris.  To that point, I am
> currently downloading the latest version and will give it another look.

I am not sure why, but Steve McIntyre started calling my statements
"bullshit statement" and later claimed that I was using a
"condescending style"

Is this English culture?

Could you explian me how to use English the right way please?

> > Solaris is free!
>
> Well, I've not looked into the Solaris thing lately, but I did attempt
> to install it on two differen i86 based systems, with little luck.  The
> install process was not polished at all.  Now this could well have
> changed as I've not looked at it in a while.

The Solaris install process was smoother than Suse last time I checked.

> > Maybe the problem is that Debian accepts bug reports for things that are not
> > broken (at least not inside cdrecord).
>
> I would agree that some things are not technically bugs, but issues with
> differences in philosophies.  These can often be difficult issues to
> deal with.

The Debian folks should be prepared that cdrecord evolves in the direction it's
philosophy points. Changing things would cause more deviations in the future.
As they are not able or willing to maintain a true fork, they obviously need
to accept the philosophy of the official cdrecord.

> > -	Most Debian patches _cause_ problems instead of fixing them.
>
> I'll have to review your list of objections again.  As I recall the
> issues were more of the 'difference in philosophy' then actually causing
> problems.

Applying changes to cdrecord because there is a bug in a different program
does not look like a 'difference in philosophy' to me.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)