Re: Why burnfree is off by default?

Joerg Schilling wrote:
> "ROBERTOJIMENOCA@terra.es" <ROBERTOJIMENOCA@terra.es> wrote:
> > You mean that even if there's no buffer underrun the 50 bits or 14 bits
> > are always lost in writes around the disk?
> >
> > Otherwise that could be always left on by default and warn the user when
> > the disk write is completed that the disk used burnfree at least once
> > and may not be conformant.
> >
> > Anyway I'd like to know the actual reason to
> > turn burnfree of by default
> > from Joerg.
>
> This has been discussed many times, check the archives.....
> If burnfree is on, the quality is
lower and the first technology
> in this area did turn it off by default and the standard says it is
> off by default and....

People really care about their CDs working and not having coasters!

Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Volker Kuhlmann <hidden@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> > According to Jörg, the feature is off by default to ensure continuity
> > and compatibility with <whatever I've forgotten and don't care about>.
>
> If you don't know, why do you answer at all?

If you know please say so! For the love of God!

> > In my opinion, not a competent reason.
>
> Not a competent answer....

Why
do you care to reply at all?
How can you be such an asshole?

I think there's a real need to have an upstream source for cdrtools that
has all the fixes that Joerg doesn't want to apply even not having a
competent reason.

Distributions like SUSE, Fedora, RedHat, Ubuntu, Debian, Mandrake have
many of the patches that Joerg doesn't want to apply and they are
diverging quite a bit. There's a need to create an official upstream
source with all these patches included that will remove work for the
distribution packagers and would allow other distributions to have a
working cdrecord instead the
broken one that provides Joerg.

Does anyone one know of such an effort to prevent fixes entering cdrecord
because of Joerg?

Prueba el Nuevo Correo Terra; Seguro, Rápido, Fiable.