Re: Why burnfree is off by default?

Matthias Andree wrote:
> "ROBERTOJIMENOCA@terra.es" <ROBERTOJIMENOCA@terra.es> writes:
> > Could you set burnfree on by default or give a competent reason to turn
> > off burnfree?
>
> "Burn-proof", "Burnfree", "Just Link", "Seamless Link" or however the
> vendor of the day call their technique to interrupt a streaming write
> and pick up later where they left off always trash a few bits, it's not
> a perfect seamless link - the LASER needs to be switched from reading
> power to writing power, the exact position needs to be used, and this
> isn't trivial.
>
> If I recall correctly, the
first generation of these techniques could
> "cost" near 50 bits, later ones 14 bits, I'm not sure how many bits are
> trashed by current implementations. "bit" here refers to either pit or
> land as the actual physical smallest bit of information.
>
> While the various coding layers of forward error correction codes can
> fix some broken bits, this also means that you are already using
> correcting capability for the "link", and this capability is no longer
> available (already used up) to compensate for scratches, air bubbles in
> the polycarbonate, aging material or just a random error.
>
> For this reason it's best to not use these link capabilities but write a
> continuous stream. I presume that might have been a reason to leave this
> feature off by default. Reducing write speed is often a better
> alternative, and you have a -dummy mode...

You mean that even if there's no buffer underrun the 50 bits or 14 bits
are always lost in writes around the disk?

Otherwise that could be always left on by default and warn the user when
the disk write is completed that the disk used burnfree at least once
and may not be conformant.

Anyway I'd like to know the actual reason to
turn burnfree of by default
from Jöerg.

Prueba el Nuevo Correo Terra; Seguro, Rápido, Fiable.