Re: DVD Burner Problem

There was some discussion regarding a non-root users ability to write
to cdr & dvd*rw drives about a year ago, and TPTB wound up making them
root usable only devices.  Its security related.  That device is usually
a softlink to whatever device it is on the ide/atapi disklist, here its
/dev/cdrom linked to /dev/hdc.  If you cannot make a link as root, or
burn to the real device as root, then thats a slightly different problem.

I cannot burn as root either.

And if your system is running udev, I'm not familiar with that yet so
someone who is will have to answer in detail.

I am running udev now, but the problem existed before I upgraded to udev.

Post, from your dmesg file, the output during the discovery phase of
your dvdrom drive during the bootup please.

It should look something like this:
Probing IDE interface ide1...
hdc: LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1673S, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

And a few lines later in the file:
hdc: ATAPI 48X DVD-ROM DVD-R CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20

There will be diffs depending on your kernel, that was from a 2.6.14.3
boot.

Probing IDE interface ide1...
hdc: LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-811S, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdd: LITE-ON LTR-52327S, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
hdc: ATAPI 47X DVD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, UDMA(33)
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
hdd: ATAPI 52X CD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, UDMA(33)

Also, if I reboot to windows I can burn dvd's find from nero, so the burner/hardware isn't the problem.  Just for some reason the system thinks that its a dvd rom and does not give me write privledges on it.

-Thanks, John