Re: DVD Burner Problem

On Sunday 27 November 2005 23:09, John Baab wrote:
>Here is my original problem that I posted on the amd64 list:
>http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/2005/10/msg00790.html
>
>I am still having the same problem with my dvd burner and cannot find a
>solution, someone recomended that I posted to this list for some help.
> Does anyone have any idea why my dvd burner is only showing up with
> dvdrom permissions?  I am not currently subscribed to the list so if
> you could cc me that would be great.
>
>-Thanks, John

There was some discussion regarding a non-root users ability to write
to cdr & dvd*rw drives about a year ago, and TPTB wound up making them
root usable only devices.  Its security related.  That device is usually
a softlink to whatever device it is on the ide/atapi disklist, here its
/dev/cdrom linked to /dev/hdc.  If you cannot make a link as root, or
burn to the real device as root, then thats a slightly different problem.

And if your system is running udev, I'm not familiar with that yet so
someone who is will have to answer in detail.

Post, from your dmesg file, the output during the discovery phase of
your dvdrom drive during the bootup please.

It should look something like this:
Probing IDE interface ide1...
hdc: LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1673S, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

And a few lines later in the file:
hdc: ATAPI 48X DVD-ROM DVD-R CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20

There will be diffs depending on your kernel, that was from a 2.6.14.3
boot.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)