Re: Help with DVD+RW w/UDF file system

Chris Oxenreider wrote:

I set the drives parameters to:
    hdparm -d1 -k1 -p4 -c1 /dev/hda

The doccumentation for the drive lists it as PIO mode 4 and DMA mode 2.

The listing of the parameters shows:
    hdparm -v /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 HDIO_GET_MULTCOUNT failed: Invalid argument
 IO_support   =  1 (32-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
 keepsettings =  1 (on)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 readahead    = 256 (on)
 HDIO_GETGEO failed: Invalid argument

When I do the 'cp' a typical vmstat  shows:
r b swpd free buff cache si so bi bo in cs us sy id wa 0 0 244 10208 16156 222516 0 0 0 24 1208 819 0 0 0 100

Testing the speed shows:
    hdparm -t /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:   14 MB in  3.14 seconds =   4.46 MB/sec

Which is about 1mb slower than the DVD+RW 4x speed as listed in the
specifications sheet [1].

So far this has only manafesed when attempting to treat a DVD+RW with a
UDF file system as a removable hard disk.  Burning a CD-R (I have not
attempted to burn a DVD+R yet) works fine.

[1] http://www.samsung.com/Products/OpticalDiskDrive/DVDRRW/OpticalDiskDrive_DVDRRW_TS_H552U_sp.htm

That seems to isolate the problem to the handling of UDF rather than at the driver level. I have to go back and reread your OP and see what kernel, etc, you are using. I don't remember other reporting this issue, but I don't use UDF normally, so it's not something I can quickly test.

Thanks for all the data!

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc