Re: cdrecord-prodvd also fails to write Moviestyle dvd

Hello Volker

Sorry for the late reply.

Volker Kuhlmann <hidden@paradise.net.nz> writes:
> The other thing which comes to mind is that the burner may still have
> certain media parameters cached. This is flushed on eject, when the disk
> is inserted again the drive needs to "re-acquire".

Agreed

> I can only come to one of these 3 conclusions: 1) the drive is faulty.
> 2) The media is faulty to start with, and is certainly faulty now. 3)
> The drive is unable to burn that particular media correctly, but it's
> close to borderline (otherwise there would be a total failure).

Since my dvd burner is able to burn other brands of dvd correctly and
that I can burn the dubious media on an HP burner without problem, I
tend towards the 3) explanation.

> In either of these cases the burnt disk is a coaster and not
> suitable as backup.

Yes.

> Whenever there is read trouble and you're unsuere whether it's to do
> with the filesystem, *always* disregard the filesystem and read with dd
> directly from the device, like dd bs=2k if=/dev/dvdrecorder
> of=/dev/null. You're allowed *one* I/O error at the very end of the
> recording. Any more, and either or both drive and disk are faulty. There
> is basically no leeway for other options here if you care about your
> data.

I get plenty of IO errors on the rw drive and no problem on the
read-only drive.

Anyway, I'll trash the moviestyle dvds and use another brand.

Thanks for your help.