Re: cdrecord-prodvd also fails to write Moviestyle dvd

> The only thing which comes to mind on that is that the directory
> structure might still be in memory. Seems unlikely, but there's no
> reason why it should work only until eject. If you force a read of all
> files, like an md5sum or such, are they all readable?

The other thing which comes to mind is that the burner may still have
certain media parameters cached. This is flushed on eject, when the disk
is inserted again the drive needs to "re-acquire".

I can only come to one of these 3 conclusions: 1) the drive is faulty.
2) The media is faulty to start with, and is certainly faulty now. 3)
The drive is unable to burn that particular media correctly, but it's
close to borderline (otherwise there would be a total failure).

In either of these cases the burnt disk is a coaster and not suitable as
backup.

Whenever there is read trouble and you're unsuere whether it's to do
with the filesystem, *always* disregard the filesystem and read with dd
directly from the device, like dd bs=2k if=/dev/dvdrecorder
of=/dev/null. You're allowed *one* I/O error at the very end of the
recording. Any more, and either or both drive and disk are faulty. There
is basically no leeway for other options here if you care about your
data.

Volker

http://volker.dnsalias.net/		Please do not CC list postings to me.