Re: growisofs should have a method for padding

Hi,

> The 2.6 kernel's CD/DVD driver has the unfortunate propensity to read
> ahead past the end of a CD/DVD.  It then reports an error, even if the
> actual read request was completely legitimate.  See, for example,
>   <https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-March/msg02774.html>

Are there really such errors with DVD now ?
With CD there is an embarrassing tradition for that.

> The conventional work-around is to always pad when writing a CD/DVD.
> growisofs can burn a pre-mastered image.  It would be nice if there was a
> way to ask it to add to this burn a specified amount of padding.
>
> The only way I know of accomplishing it is to actually pad the image
> file.  Not very elegant or convenient.  (It breaks any signature too.)

I pad my growisofs streams while filtering them
through a checksum program. It adds a checksum
tag and the usual 300 kB which i also pad to CDs.
Just being cautious, though. I never got reports
about real DVD read-ahead bugs.

> One suggestion: implement -pad and -padsize options.

Did you already try something like this ?

  ( cat imagefile ; dd if=/dev/zero bs=2K count=150 ) | \
  growisofs -use-the-force-luke -dvd-compat -Z /dev/sr0=/proc/self/fd/0

> ...  Essentially, it means that some options are not
> supported when growisofs is doing all the work itself.

growisofs forwards options of mkisofs but not
those of cdrecord.
mkisofs option -pad should be active by default
but this padding is added to the image file.