Re: Why actual speed is slower than nominal? (2.6x vs 4x)

 Very useful! Thanks a lot!

 It actually seems like even with large files (100s of mb's) the speed
is far from nominal at least on my system.

 Would it be possible to somehow mention this little buffering program
on the official growisofs page? I have read that manual quite
carefully, and this was one of the unfortunate cases where RTFM did not
help too much. On the other hand, mastering images to harddrive before
writing them to a DVD is so yesterday ...

 Konstantin

--- Peter Osterlund <petero2@telia.com> wrote:
> Konstantin Kudin <konstantin_kudin@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> >  I am curious as to why the actual speed I get happens to be a lot
> > slower than the nominal one. I am using Knoppix 3.8.1 with 2.6.11
> > kernel in /dev/hdc, and the DVD writer is /dev/hdd
> >
> >  If I do not use "hdparm" to set the speed of /dev/hdd to udma2,
> then
> > actual speed happens to be even slower.
> >
> >  I am creating the image on the fly, could that make things go
> slower?
>
> Yes it could. See this link:
>
>         http://lists.debian.org/cdwrite/2003/12/msg00226.html
>
> --