Re: CDRecord proper dev specification w/2.6.x

Volker Kuhlmann <hidden@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

> > Have you tried multisession as a user?
>
> I never use it, because I either pretty much fill up a CD or use cdrw.
> However a quick test shows that it works just fine:
>
> > cdrecord dev=/dev/hdd -tao -multi /tmp/test.iso
> > cdrecord dev=/dev/hdd -msinfo
> 0,27360

I cannot see that you did multi session....

Last Night, I did read the Debian bug list and it seems that newer
Linux kernel behave highly non-deterministic :-(

Newer Linux kernels do not allow cdrecord to set the write speed
if you like to write the second session. I see absolutely no reason for
this failure and believe me, cdrecord always set's the write speed
in the same way.

As long as the Linux kernel maintainers do not fix their
bugs, the best advise is to go back to Linux-2.4 or to install Solaris

http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/get.jsp

There is one thing you need to know about Solaris: you need to enable DMA
for CD/DVD drives by calling:

eeprom atapi-cd-dma-enabled=1

and reboot to make this change active.

> As $USER, SuSE 9.2, stock install with all current updates. My first
> attempt was with -nofix instead of -multi, which resulted in rubbish
> from -msinfo.

You cannot retrive multi session info before the first sesson has been
completed.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de		(uni)
       schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de	(work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/