Re: Errors with 8x media, works in other OS

Peter F. Curran wrote:
On Sat, 26 Feb 2005, Bill Davidsen wrote:

-dmesg for the drive ------------------------------------------------------

hda: attached ide-scsi driver.

I think that's the answer. The 2.4 kernel won't do DMA in some modes
using ide-scsi. The easy test is to try a lower speed for the burn. And
use vmstat to check CPU usage while you burn. Maybe more later, I'm
about to head for RPI for the last hockey game of the season. Hopefully
it won't repeat last night. unless you're at the top of section 17 you
won't hear from me until morning ;-(

Go Red!  :^)  ...and thanks for the reply.  I have found that the
-speed=1 causes a working 4x burn, (while -speed=4 cryptically
causes a 6x attempted burn with failure.)  I suppose I will just
have to live with 4x for a while as I'm not willing to move to
2.6 yet.  Unless you know of an ide-scsi patch?  I have tried
some searches with no results....

That's easy, speed=4 doesn't mean 4x, it means the 4th supported speed in the list of capabilities. So:

  Maximum read  speed:  4233 kB/s (CD  24x, DVD  3x)
  Current read  speed:  4233 kB/s (CD  24x, DVD  3x)
  Maximum write speed:  1411 kB/s (CD   8x, DVD  1x)
  Current write speed:  1411 kB/s (CD   8x, DVD  1x)
  Rotational control selected: CLV/PCAV
  Buffer size in KB: 2000
  Copy management revision supported: 1
  Number of supported write speeds: 2
  Write speed # 0:  1411 kB/s CLV/PCAV (CD   8x, DVD  1x)
  Write speed # 1:   705 kB/s CLV/PCAV (CD   4x, DVD  0x)

Note that speed 1 is 4x, speed 0 is 8x. This on a burner that needed a firmware update to do 2x! I have a box of 8x media, so I'll try it in this burner for grins.

BTW: let's keep the list in the replies, so you can get additional feedback.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO TMR Associates, Inc