Writing to DVD

Hi,

I'm trying to get a better understanding of writing DVDs under Debian. I'm using a LG 4082B DVD burner, supporting DVD+R(W), DVD-R(W) and DVD-RAM. It's installed in a machine running a 2.4 kernel, which has NOT been patched for packet writing, UDF writing or any other form of DVD support.

Most resources suggest using dvdrtools for writing to DVD-R(W) and dvd+rw-tools for writing to DVD+RW. Both of these tools rely on the use of ISO9660 filesystems. dvdrtools requires an iso file to be created before writing to disc, dvd+rw-tools does it on-the-fly through growisofs. I have had no problems creating discs using these tools.

DVD-RAM discs can have an arbitrary filesystem placed on them and be mounted. eg.
  # mke2fs /dev/cdrom
  # mount -t ext2 /dev/cdrom /cdrom
  # cp * /cdrom

It appears a similar method can also be used with DVD+RW discs, however I have also tried writing binary streams to DVD+RW discs. For example
  # umount /cdrom
  # tar -Mcvf /dev/cdrom /some/files
I don't understand why this works, but the resultant disc appears to be verbatim.

How dependant is the success of the last two methods on the model of DVD writer used? I understand that such discs would not be readable under most other operating systems, but would they be readable under Linux on other machines with generic DVD-ROM drives or DVD writers? Why can DVD+RW discs be mounted and used that way, but DVD-RW discs can not?

Sorry if these questions have been answerered elsewhere, but my research on the web and other mailing lists has proved unsuccesful.

Thanks for your help,
Lee