Re: dump on CD (Linux only)

On 26 Jul, Patrick.Ohly@gmx.de wrote:

> On 26 Jul, jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de wrote:
>> For my 900 MHz Pentium III compression (flag -z6) is fast
>> enough for my CD burner (4x). I suppose it could deliver
>> data even fast enough for an (8x) burner.
>> You save time and money (less CDs)
>> Furthermore it supports incremental dumps.
>
> Does it support multi-session CD-Rs? My incremental backups at home
> hardly ever take up more than 50-100MB, and even though CD-Rs are cheap
> I still hate to waste the space ;-)

I don't think so, because the Linux kernel doesn't support multi-session
and restore reads the raw device.

But in your case why don't you use rewritable CDs which should work
out of the box.
A second possibility is to directly write to the raw device of ZIP
drive. I'll try that and report later. But a ZIP medium is much more
expensive than a rewritable CD and you don't need a ZIP-drive either.

Helmut.