Re: Is my MSI DR8-A2 broken?

On Thu, 2005-12-22 at 20:04 +0100, Svante Signell wrote:
> It get even worse with DVD-R 8x media:
> growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=file.img
> Executing 'builtin_dd if=file.img of=/dev/dvd obs=32k seek=0':-[ PERFORM
> OPC failed with SK=3h/ASC=73h/ACQ=03h]: Input/output error

> On Thu, 2005-12-22 at 12:37 +0100, Svante Signell wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I recently purchased a MSI DR8-A2 DVD+-R/RW writer. It writes CD-Rs and
> > DVD+RW disks properly but not DVD+R! I have not yet tried DVD-R/RW. With
> > 4x DVD+R media the disks are written up to around 30% at 3.9-4.0x speed.
> > Then suddenly writing speed goes down to 1.0-3.0x. Similar with 8x
> > media. The resulting disks are all corrupt :-( Some writings give
> > correct menus, but the main file is always corrupt. The writer does not
> > even fully write the disks, the inner part seems to be untouched!

I've seen on the web that some burners don't work well in placed on a
slave position. Furthermore, the image I tried to write was on the same
IDE drive. Obviously problems can occur with DMA transfers, reducing the
speed greatly. In any case, the resulting DVD-image should not be
corrupt, would it? On the problematic burner, I even tried an audio CD.
The result was that the CD was unplayable, extreme lagging, multiple
songs at once, etc. The burner has now been returned, using the two year
warranty from MSI.

> > I have tried many different software to create a DVD-compatible image,
> > and use growisofs (with many different switches) for writing the DVD+R,
> > same bad result. I did upgrade the DVD writer firmware from 140D to 150D
> > using a Windows boot floppy without any improvement. (Upgrading to the
> > latest version 160D will require moving the DVD writer to a computer
> > with Windows installed, since that upgrade cannot be run in DOS mode. I
> > have even tried Wine, but it fails. BTW: Would it work for the DOS
> > floppy upgrade: DVFLASH 150D_SCR.BIN?)

Did upgrade to 160D to, no change!